Despite somewhat recent additions to the TI-84 line, including units with color screens, the black-and-white version – the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus – has stood the test of time, maintaining its role as one of the bestselling units on the market.
What is it that allows this calculator to continuously hold up after all these years? Take a peek at our complete review to learn all there is to know.
General Info about the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus
The TI-84 Plus is the perfect tool for any high school or college student, equipped with the functionality to handle required math courses and beyond. For instance, although this can carry a student through the toughest algebra course, the TI-84 Plus also tackles upper-level trigonometry, pre-calculus, and more with ease.
One of the highlights mentioned by users is the calculator’s overall ease of use, as well as its intuitive keyboard layout, which provides fast access to various functions. This unit was designed with students in mind, so you really can’t go wrong with one of the best graphing calculators out there.
TI-84 Plus School Pack Product Specifications
- 10 TI-84 Plus calculators with batteries, cables, and manuals for each (specific to this product configuration);
- 10 sliding protective cases in an easy-to-spot yellow coloring with the inscription “School Property” on the back cover, sliding case, and faceplate (specific to this product configuration);
- 8-line by 16-character LCD display;
- MathPrint technology allows for input and output of equations as they would be shown in a textbook or written on a whiteboard;
- Split screen function shows view of graph and its equation simultaneously;
- Twelve built-in apps, including Cabri Jr, Probability Simulation, Conic Graphing, Inequality Graphing, and more;
- Transfer data via USB from unit-to-unit or computer-to-unit;
- Compatibility with Vernier EasyLink, Vernier EasyTemp, and more allows for easy data collection and analysis;
- Powered by four AAA batteries with a lithium battery backup;
- Approved for use on PSAT/NMSQT, SAT, ACT, AP, IB, and Praxis exams.
PROS and CONS of the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus
- Accepted by more teachers, schools, and exams than any other calculator on the market;
- Many textbooks include TI-84 directions;
- “School property” inscription is perfect for keeping track of units in schools or tutoring centers (specific to this product configuration);
- MathPrint functionality makes equations much easier to interpret;
- Vast array of built-in applications;
- Impact-resistant sliding case does a good job of protecting the unit even during a fall or when it’s being tossed around in a cluttered backpack;
- Lithium battery backup protects data;
- Great design with clearly labeled keys and intuitive layout;
- Always accurate in computations;
- Long-lasting battery life.
- Lacks a computer algebra system (CAS);
- Expensive (but worth every penny);
- Large overall build;
- Powered by disposable batteries rather than a single rechargeable one.
Common Issues in User Reviews
- Sometimes fails to power on after extended use due to a design flaw;
- Display can be hard to read while utilizing the graphing function;
- Graphing isn’t as speedy as desired.
These few comments mentioned above express minor concerns, all of which affect only a small percentage of users. Even those few users who experienced issues proclaim the TI-84 Plus as being an amazing calculator and still the best option available for graphing.
With both basic and more advanced functions, students can handle just about any type of math that comes their way, except for engineering math or a few other very highly advanced courses. This calculator comes with the all-around best recommendations by far.
Overall, the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus still comes highly praised by countless users. While its technology isn’t quite as groundbreaking compared to some of the cutting-edge technology some of the newest calculators have obtained in recent years, it can still calculate with the best of them.