While it’s true that the Texas Instruments TI 83 could be perceived as being “dated” by some due to its age, this calculator has nevertheless stood the test of time. Ever since its release, it has been one of the most popular graphing calculators on the market. If you’re currently shopping around for a graphing calculator of the utmost quality, the TI 83 should certainly be on your radar — stay tuned to find out all you need to know before purchasing this calculator.
General Info about the Texas Instruments TI 83
The Texas Instruments TI 83 offers a variety of functions that will easily serve a student in any high school or college math course with the exception of some very high-level courses. Features include algebraic, trigonometric, and statistics functions; parametric, polar and sequence plot modes; and so much more. Although the calculus functions aren’t as prominent within this particular system, the TI 83 still holds its own.
Also provided are financial functions like amortization, cash flow, and time value of money. One of the most useful tools offered is the Draw function, which allows users to annotate graphs within seconds. All in all, look past the outdated system and allow yourself to make the most out of the incredible TI 83.
Texas Instruments TI 83 Product Specifications
- Easily graph complex equations and compare functions.
- Perform data plotting and analysis.
- Powerful enough to deliver calculus, trigonometric, financial, and engineering functions.
- Automatic power off.
- Eight-line, sixteen-character high contrast 3-inch LCD display.
- Dimensions (HxWxL) of 1.0 by 3.5 by 7.3-inches.
- Weighs eight ounces.
- Input/Output port available on the body.
- Powered by four AAA batteries (included).
- Protective sliding case.
- USB cable and Unit-to-Unit Cable included.
- Downloadable manual available via CD-ROM.
- Approved for use on the PSAT, SAT, and ACT exams, as well as IB and AP tests
PROS and CONS of the Texas Instruments TI 83
- Can usually be found cheaper than the TI-84.
- Despite having an older system, can match the quality of the TI-84’s performance with most functions.
- Automatic power off.
- Speedy processor provides fast, accurate results.
- Rugged sliding cover offers calculator a good amount of protection when stored within backpacks and other dangerous environments.
- Long-lasting battery life.
- Lacks memory required to accommodate system updates.
- Older system sometimes requires the user to perform extra steps, such as remembering to place parentheses within an equation.
- Doesn’t feature the quite helpful MathPrint functionality.
- Requires solid knowledge of the manual to most easily utilize.
- LCD display lacks backlighting.
Common Issues in Texas Instruments TI 83 User Reviews
- Some limitations due to outdated system.
- Calculator’s memory fills up with just a few applications.
Users have pointed out that if you desire to update the calculator’s system, you won’t be able to — the amount of memory offered is not nearly enough to accommodate the updates required. If you are fine with having an older system and don’t mind the few extra learning curves that come along with it, you will find the Texas Instruments TI 83 to be extremely useful throughout both your high school and college education. Otherwise, many users have raved about the overall speed of the processor and ease of use once getting the hang of the system. Other users don’t mind the outdated system in the least and instead love that they can save a few extra dollars.
When comparing the Texas Instruments TI 83 to the TI 84, the overall age difference between systems is obvious — however, the TI 83 should not be discounted because of its age. In fact, the TI 83 is considered to be the better deal by many users. So, if you’ve been searching for one of the best graphing calculators out there, keep this model in mind as a definite option.
If you decide to forego a minor upgrade and purchase the TI 83, reach out to us in the comment section below and share your experience.