Calculators aren’t like smart devices — they don’t decrease in value the moment they are released to the public. Still, one of the most popular calculators by far is one that hit the scene nearly twenty years ago. It has, in fact, aged rather gracefully. This particular calculator is the Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus. If you’re on the market for a graphing calculator that delivers some of the best quality around, check out our review of the TI 83 Plus and see why this calculator is the right one for the job.
General Info About the Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus
An easy-to-use graphing calculator, the Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus was designed specifically for students to use from high school and all the way through college. Armed with a much speedier processor than its predecessor, the TI 83 Plus solves problems, computes equations, and graphs effortlessly.
Get the most out of the calculator’s many functions by utilizing some of the preloaded Flash Applications, like StudyCards and Vernier EasyData, for example. Simply put, this unit maintains every feature that a typical scientific calculator offers, plus graphing capabilities and functions for statistics, trigonometry, financial math, calculus, and so much more. The TI 83 Plus is truly the whole package.
Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus Product Specifications
- Easily store, graph, and analyze up to ten functions.
- Display graphs and evaluate tables simultaneously using the horizontal and vertical split screen function.
- Available plot types include box-and-whisker, histogram, scatter, XY-line, and normal probability.
- Create user-defined lists that store up to 999 elements.
- Automatic power off.
- Compatibility with TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.
- Eight-line, sixteen-character LCD display.
- Ability to upgrade operating system and software.
- TI-Graph Link allows for the transfer of files and data between a computer and the calculator.
- Protective sliding case.
- One-year limited warranty.
- Approved for use on the PSAT, SAT, and ACT exams, as well as AP and IB tests.
PROS and CONS of the Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus
- Has stood the test of time.
- Durable build quality.
- Comes with a rugged, impact-resistant sliding case.
- Long-lasting battery life.
- Split screen functionality.
- Many tutorials available online.
- Automatic power off.
- Users can upgrade the system unlike the original TI-83.
- Lacks the ability to scroll back through formulas for reuse.
- Does not include the MathPrint functionality that shows equations in a textbook-like format.
- System is slightly outdated (but still reliable).
- Available user manual is informative but can be hard to follow.
- User manual is not included with all configurations.
Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus Common Issues
- Certain functions require extra keystrokes compared to the TI-84.
- Might not offer all functions required for higher-level math like certain higher calculus courses.
Overall, there are few complaints for the Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus. Many users find it easy to get the hang of the intuitive interface. Users also offer up praise to the TI 83 for suiting many math requirements, even the more complex ones. The speed at which the calculator operates is enough to make up for the few extra keystrokes that may sometimes be required for certain formulas.
The Texas Instruments TI 83 Plus has stood the test of time, remaining one of the best graphing calculators on the market today. Do yourself a favor and get your hands on one to ensure the possibility of better grades — even those with the greatest aversion to math find that this particular calculator makes a world of difference in their mathematical studies.
Finally, if you’re looking for an upgrade, then you may also want to consider the Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus graphing calculator.