The Sharp EL-1801V is a desktop printing calculator that provides dual-colored printing for quick reading. While not the best option for those working out in the field on a regular basis, the Sharp EL-1801V offers excellent functionality for the occasional user in any office setting. Check out our review of the Sharp EL-1801V to find out more about the specs, pros, and cons.
General Info about the Sharp EL-1801V
The printing feature offered by the Sharp EL-1801V is one that benefits a variety of users. Those working in a home office or small office setting will likely get the most use out of this calculator. It provides a satisfying amount of reliability, accuracy, and functionality with a good bang for the buck. The Sharp EL-1801V is an all-around excellent unit that prints quickly with ink cartridges that last far longer than expected. With cost/sell/margin, one-touch change calculation, and other functions, the Sharp EL-1801V is ready to tackle any business calculation you will throw at it.
Sharp EL-1801V Product Specifications
- 12-digit, 1-line large blue fluorescent LCD display including punctuation, with eye-angled viewing.
- Desktop-sized body with large non-stick plastic keys.
- Serial printing at the speed of 2.1 lines per second.
- Dual-colored printing — positive values print in black, while negative values print in red.
- Cost/Sell/Margin, tax, average, and grand total functions.
- Item counter.
- Selectable rounding for printing (up, down, or off).
- Calendar and clock function for display and printing.
- One-touch change calculation function for display and printing.
- Add mode.
- 4-key memory, including memory plus, memory minus, and recall and clear memory.
- Adjustable decimal point (floating or fixed).
- Powered by AC adapter (included).
- Measures 7.6 by 10.1 by 2.5 inches.
- Weighs 2.2 pounds.
PROS and CONS of the Sharp EL-1801V
- One-touch change calculation function.
- Adjustable rounding and decimal point.
- Good size for portability.
- Solid offering of functionality.
- Dual-colored printing with solid speed of 2.2 lines per second.
- Long-lasting ink cartridges.
- Can function without print mode, if desired.
- Solid non-stick keys with nice feel and good layout.
- Includes a backspace button.
- Reliable lifespan.
- Excellent accuracy with calculations.
- Bright LCD display that is easy to see under any lighting.
- Powered via AC adapter only.
- Noisy while printing.
- Lacks an automatic shutdown feature.
- Serial printing doesn’t keep up with fast typing.
- Instruction manual isn’t very clear.
- Not a true heavy-duty machine.
Common Issues in Sharp EL-1801V User Reviews
- Takes a little time getting used to the keyboard layout.
- Serial printing is too slow for demanding office environments.
These few issues mentioned above are minimal and mostly a matter of personal preference. For instance, users coming over from a calculator manufactured by another company may need some time to adjust to the Sharp EL-1801V’s keyboard layout. Further, users that type more speedily than others, such as in a demanding office environment, might not like the delay in printing. This likely would not affect users who type at a slower pace in a more relaxed environment. Despite these few issues, users had great things to say about the Sharp EL-1801V. Some of the most loved features include the dual-colored printing, portability, and bright fluorescent display.
Overall, the Sharp EL-1801V provides users with great functionality and ease of use. Although not the most heavy-duty machine out there and one you wouldn’t likely take out into the field with you, this unit nevertheless holds up quite well to the demands of everyday use. Reach out to us on Facebook or leave a comment down below to let us know what you think about the Sharp EL-1801V.