In past decades, HP’s audience has been largely professionals in the workplace. However, with the release of their high end ultra-sleek graphing calculator, the HP G8X92AA LA Prime v2, they have seamlessly succeeded in branching out into the world of education.
If you’re curious about what makes the HP Prime different from the rest, check out our review and find out everything you need to know.
General Info about the HP G8X92AA LA Prime v2
The HP Prime has a large following of professional users in engineering, finances, or similar fields, but it has also left its mark on students and teachers alike. With its built-in applications specifically geared toward education, it serves as an intuitive and user-friendly learning tool, being one of the best graphing calculators today.
On the other hand, the optional Wi-Fi capability serves teachers well by enabling them to distribute quizzes or view a student’s work in real-time, for example. If desired, users can even sync up their calculator with DataStreamer. This is an app that communicates with various Fourier sensors for collecting data. These few noted features alone make the purchase of this calculator worth every cent.
HP G8X92AA LA Prime v2 Product Specifications
- 10-line, 33-character 3.5-inch multi-touch display;
- Alphanumeric keyboard;
- RPN and Algebraic mode with Textbook styling, meaning that equations display as they would in a textbook or when written out on a class whiteboard;
- Various functions, including graphing, scientific, statistical, and mathematical functions;
- Built-in features include CAS, Advanced Graphic, Dynamic Geometry, and spreadsheets;
- Store equations and solve for variables with HP Solve;
- Test-mode configuration enables only pre-approved functions;
- Optional Wi-Fi capability;
- Power-off memory protection;
- Automatic shutdown for saving battery;
- Powered by one lithium-ion rechargeable battery;
- Slide-on cover for protection;
- Approved for use on the PSAT/NMSQT, SAT, AP, and IB exams;
- Limited one-year warranty;
- Dimensions (W by D by H) of 7.1 by 3.4 by 0.6-inches;
- Weighs approximately 8 ounces.
PROS and CONS of the HP G8X92AA LA Prime v2
- Sturdy build with an exceptionally designed case;
- Easy to save money, thanks to rechargeable battery;
- Multi-touch display leads to better ease-of-use and more productivity;
- Graph nearly any type of equation, including conic sections, vertical lines, circles, and equations written in terms of y, without requiring special templates;
- Inclusion of a Computer Algebra System (CAS);
- Features a type of “natural print” that allows input and output to reflect the way said information would be shown in a textbook;
- Has a computer-like system, making use of pop-up menus and drop-down windows for faster navigation;
- Pinch-to-zoom feature;
- Super speedy processor and user-friendly interface;
- Long-lasting battery per charge;
- Easy to program equations into the calculator;
- Handles complex numbers effortlessly;
- Adjustable font sizes to suit user preference;
- Solid key layout with well-constructed buttons.CONS
- Slight learning curve in the beginning.
Common Issues in User Reviews
• Learning curve that might affect apparent ease-of-use factor in the beginning for some users.
As is the case with many things, a learning curve is to be expected. Since the HP Prime features such a unique system, this can be a turn-off to those who are expecting to turn on the calculator and be able to dive in right away.
Most users, however, find it easy to adapt rather quickly and have very few, if any, issues while getting past the initial learning phase. All in all, the rest of the feedback has been none other than praise. Users love this calculator with a great passion, explaining how every tiny feature incorporated throughout the system works together to form the best calculator possible. Simply put, the HP Prime is a calculator selection championed by many.
As has likely become apparent throughout this review, the HP G8X92AA LA Prime v2 is perhaps one of the best choices of calculators out there at this point in time. It is revolutionary in its system and overall workings, impressive in the way that it handles its various features, and just an all-around stunning little piece of machinery.
All other calculators find it hard to compare to this particular model. So, if you’re looking for a new calculator to set you on the best path toward mathematical success, consider the HP Prime.