A long-standing favorite of finance professionals and those working in various technical industries, the original HP 12c’s latest revamp is the HP 12c Platinum. Despite being on the market for over 30 years, the HP 12c offers quality and durability that keeps it in continuous use and has maintained its name as the gold standard for many professionals. Take a look at this quick overview containing all there is to know about the HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator.
General Info about the HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator
Like many things, the HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator keeps getting better with age. It has its never-ending wave of users to thank for its longevity, not to mention its incredible build and capabilities that made it a hit in the first place. One of the biggest differences of the HP 12c Platinum when compared to more modern calculators, such as the Texas Instruments BA II Plus, is its seamless integration of the input convention known as Reverse Polish Notation (RPN). Other advanced features include “Undo” and “Backspace” buttons, both of which work together to ensure the correct answer even if a keying error occurs.
HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator Product Specifications
- Over 130 built-in functions for finance, business, statistics, and mathematics (including date arithmetic).
- Finance functions include calculation of TVM, NPV, IRR, loan payments, cash flows, bonds, percent, interest rates and conversions, standard deviation, and more.
- Reverse Polish Notation data entry, as well as algebraic mode.
- Keystroke programming memory capacity up to 400 steps.
- 20 memory registers.
- 10-minute automatic power off (with memory protection).
- 1-line, 10-digit LCD display.
- Dimensions of 3.1 x 0.6 x 5.1-inches.
- Weighs 4.09 ounces.
- Requires 1 CR2032 battery (included).
- Approved for CFP, CFA, and GARP/FRM exams.
- Energy Star Certified.
- Premium protective pouch.
PROS and CONS of the HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator
- Industry standard calculator.
- Integration of Reverse Polish Notation (RPN).
- Also allows for algebraic entry.
- Can easily chain together extremely long computations of up to 400 keystrokes.
- Speedy processor.
- Good redesign of battery door.
- Large data storage memory.
- Durable, shock-resistant body that looks good and maintains a minor footprint.
- Energy Star Certified.
- Display maintains adjustable contrast for personalized viewing.
- Solid quality protective pouch.
- Approved for various exams, including the CFP, CFA, and GARP/FRM.
- If unfamiliar with RPN, it takes some time to adjust.
- More expensive than its competitors.
- Keys sometimes require a harder push and tend to break after a few years of use.
- Easily scratched display.
- Lacks the display blink of the original HP 12C.
- No physical instruction manual; available on CD only.
HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator User Complaints
- Learning curve for those unfamiliar with Reverse Polish Notation (RPN).
- Despite the new processor, its speed, although fast, is slightly slower than the original HP 12C.
- The display font is slightly narrow, making it a little difficult to read for some users.
- Instruction manual is available only on CD.
- The display does not blink when registering a keystroke.
Despite these few issues, the HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator brings about loads of rave reviews. Users love the ability that it offers, allowing for the use of Reverse Polish Notation, as well as algebraic mode. The lack of a physical instruction manual is somewhat eased by the fact that a comprehensive one is indeed included on CD. New features include the “Undo” and “Backspace” functions, perfect for when users are needed to make rushed calculations, such as during an exam or other stress-induced situations. Even though the classic display blink is missing from this particular model, the keys offer a tactile response that somewhat make up for that lack.
A tried-and-true product, the HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator is the perfect choice for anyone needing to perform the most complex of calculations. With this calculator, you will not only achieve the correct answer each and every time, but it also excels in achieving all-around speed and efficiency. Feel confident while inputting long strings of numbers, as the the calculator can handle up to 400 keystrokes. Do you want a calculator that you can truly rely on? Do yourself a favor and get your hands on the HP 12c Platinum Financial Calculator. Leave us a comment below and tell us know how it goes.
IMAGE SOURCE: 1