The Texas Instruments brand has long been a favorite among both students and teachers for their usability and functionality. With the addition of the Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus CE to the TI-84 line, this company is even harder to beat.
The stunning color screen, modernized look, sleekness, and faster processor make this model the perfect choice for anyone in need of a graphing calculator. Take a look at our review below to learn more.
General Info about the Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus CE
Compared to the original TI-84 Plus, the TI-84 Plus CE is significantly lighter with a slim build that allows it to fit perfectly in the hand. The modernized look is even more enhanced with the smaller rectangular shape of the keys, rather than the typical rounded shape.
Running on a new operating system, the TI-84 Plus CE is more efficient than any other model within the TI-84 line. Just these few aspects alone are enough to sway any student toward making the jump from the original TI-84 Plus, or any other calculator for that matter, to this incredible new model.
Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus CE Product Specifications
- 2.8-inch (320 by 240 pixels) backlit high resolution color display;
- MathPrint functionality allows for input and output of math symbols, formulas, and stacked fractions as they are printed in a textbook or on the whiteboard;
- Color-coded equations, objects, and plots make it easy to distinguish between various graphs and other elements;
- Overlay graphs onto imported photos to make real-world connections and enhance understanding;
- Horizontal and vertical split screen options available for viewing graphs and tables simultaneously;
- Built-in applications include CellSheet, Conics, Probability Simulation, Vernier EasyData, and many more;
- Compatible with Vernier EasyTemp, Vernier EasyLink, and CBR 2 Motion Sensor for data collection;
- Powered by one rechargeable battery (included);
- USB connectivity for transferring data from unit-to-computer and unit-to-unit;
- Hard sliding case for protection;
- Approved for use on PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP, and IB exams.
PROS and CONS of the Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus CE
- More modernized, sleeker, and lighter than the TI-84 Plus;
- Hibernation mode preserves battery when not in use;
- Long-lasting battery life per charging cycle;
- MathPrint functionality;
- Increased amount of storage allows for more applications;
- Large but slim keys with a good layout;
- Better key response rate;
- Easy-to-read backlit color screen with crisp text;
- Speedy processor;
- Approved for most, if not all, major exams.
- Fingerprint magnet due to the glossy finish on the front;
- Visible border on the graph screen wastes space instead of utilizing the entire screen capacity;
- Trigonometric functions can’t yet handle complex numbers;
- Unable to run outdated apps from older calculator models; instead, need to acquire a workaround via the Texas Instruments website;
- Lacks backlit keys, as well as a backspace button;
- Sleek build could be interpreted as a cheap build.
Common Issues in User Reviews
- Unable to run outdated version of apps, which causes confusion for users;
- Front of the calculator gets smudged easily, which can lead to the accumulation of hairline scratches rather quickly;
- Keys may require more pressure after continuous use, so ensure that each keystroke is registering or else you may wind up with incorrect answers;
- Dust gathers between keys and are difficult to keep clean, which may also contribute to the keys sometimes requiring more pressure after heavy use.
Although it is important to acknowledge the issues that some users have faced during their time with the TI-84 Plus CE, it’s also important to note how much praise this calculator has received. Favorite features include the calculator’s crisp display, the familiar format that lends to its ease of use, and the built-in apps. Users also prefer the included rechargeable battery, as not needing to purchase disposable batteries saves money.
All in all, the Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus CE is quite the impressive calculator. With its advanced upgrades in comparison to the original TI-84 Plus, it has quickly become a favorite among teachers and students alike.
Although the price caps off at a slightly higher level, the extra money is worth it for the crisp color screen, which beats the typical black-and-white screen any day. You can’t go wrong with the TI-84 Plus CE. If you decide to opt for this incredible unit, leave us a comment below and tell us what you like best about it.